We process all smartphones and tablets through a Department of Defense 5520.20-M Three-Wipe Data Erasure & Sanitization system. Our system is as follows:
Data Erasure Overview
- We process all devices through our Phonecheck diagnostic & data erasure platform. Our Phonecheck platform utilizes a DoD 5220.22-M data sanitization protocol (DoD 3-pass protocol).
- Erasing a mobile device using the DoD 5220.22-M data sanitization method will prevent all software-based file recovery methods, as well as hardware-based recovery methods, from recovering any data from the device. It is the highest level data sanitization system available for mobile devices.
- HIPAA Compliant: The Phonecheck platform offers HIPAA compliant software based data sanitization & erasure, offering a serialized IMEI audit trail certifying the data erasure proces.
The Data Erasure Process
- Our erasure platform initially creates a new encrypted file system over the existing one, erasing both the content index and all data in advance of its multiple overwriting. All erasures are third-party-certified and feature traceability and transparency for clear, tamper-proof auditing trails.
- During the 3-Pass Wipe, the data is overwritten with a set of characters, three times. This is a “0” character, followed by a single pass with a “1” character, and a final pass with a random character. In the end, there is a verification pass to make sure that all the data has been overwritten, and nothing is left vulnerable.
- You will receive a serialized IMEI audit report certifying the DOD-Level data sanitization for each device. The serialized IMEI audit will also contain the detailed results from our 25 point diagnostic platform
Device Shredding & Destruction
- If device does not power up, and we are unable to process it through a data erasure process, the device’s motherboard will be physically destroyed and shredded. Additionally, we shred all memory cards, SIM cards, and any related storage components.