We process all smartphones and tablets through a Department of Defense 5520.20-M Three-Wipe Data Erasure & Sanitization system. Our system is as follows:
Data Erasure Overview
- We process all devices through our Phonecheck diagnostic & data erasure platform. Our Phonecheck platform utilizes a DoD 5220.22-M data sanitization protocol (DoD 3-pass protocol).
- Erasing a mobile device using the DoD 5220.22-M data sanitization method will prevent all software-based file recovery methods, as well as hardware-based recovery methods, from recovering any data from the device. It is the highest level data sanitization system available for mobile devices.
- HIPAA Compliant: The Phonecheck platform offers HIPAA compliant software based data sanitization & erasure, offering a serialized IMEI audit trail certifying the data erasure proces.
The Data Erasure Process
- Our erasure platform initially creates a new encrypted file system over the existing one, erasing both the content index and all data in advance of its multiple overwriting. All erasures are third-party-certified and feature traceability and transparency for clear, tamper-proof auditing trails.
- During the 3-Pass Wipe, the data is overwritten with a set of characters, three times. This is a “0” character, followed by a single pass with a “1” character, and a final pass with a random character. In the end, there is a verification pass to make sure that all the data has been overwritten, and nothing is left vulnerable.
- You will receive a serialized IMEI audit report certifying the DOD-Level data sanitization for each device. The serialized IMEI audit will also contain the detailed results from our 25 point diagnostic platform
Device Shredding & Destruction
- If we are unable to process a device through our software based device sanitization platform (e.g. the devices does not power on or has an unremovable activation lock), the device’s motherboard will be physically destroyed and shredded. Additionally, we shred all memory cards, SIM cards, and any related storage components.